Northern Iowa basketball will open the 2012-2013 season against Wartburg on November 10 in Cedar Falls. Expectations are for the Panthers to match last season's performance. They lose 15% of last season's player minutes and add the contributions of four incoming freshmen.
The largest gap to fill for Northern Iowa will be on defense, as the team lost 21.1% of their steals. That's followed closely by three-point shooting, where they lost 19.8% of last season's numbers.
Northern Iowa played to a final overall record of 19-12 last season, placing 3rd in the Missouri Valley with their 9-9 conference record. The Panthers would go on to lose to Illinois State 54-42 in the Missouri Valley tournament. Northern Iowa will feel the loss of last year's senior Johnny Moran (31 minutes per game).
Coming back to the Panthers are senior Jake Koch (2.7 assists/game), senior Anthony James (12.5 points/game), junior Marc Sonnen (1.7 assists/game), freshman Seth Tuttle (9.6 points/game), and sophomore Deon Mitchell (1.7 assists/game).
The Panthers recruited incoming freshmen including 6-8 Chris Olivier, 6-4 Matt Bohannon, 6-8 Seth Tuttle, and 6-4 Matt MacDougall. Also joining the team is 6-1 sophomore Wes Washpun (transferred from Tennessee).
The Panthers schedule includes four games against AP preseason Top 25 teams. The first three are at #2 Louisville on November 22nd, at #18 UNLV on December 19th, and at #16 Creighton on January 15th. Northern Iowa will begin Missouri Valley play on December 30th at Wichita State.
Tags: Johnny Moran
- Northern Iowa has had 4 consecutive 20+ win seasons.
- Since 2002, Northern Iowa has an overall winning percentage of 63.2%. The Panthers have been improving over the last 5 years with an overall winning percentage of 65.6%.
- The Panthers have an average conference finish of 2.8 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 5.1.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 129.7.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is Louisville (#10).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Northern Colorado (#256).
- Northern Iowa has 4 Preseason AP Top 25 teams on the schedule.
- The last time Northern Iowa returned more than 88% of the team's statistical production was 2009-2010.
, Jake Koch
, Anthony James
, Marc Sonnen
, Seth Tuttle
, Deon Mitchell
, Chris Olivier
, Matt Bohannon
, Matt MacDougall
, Wes Washpun